Pre & Post Sedation Instruction
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- The patient is NOT allowed to eat anything for at least 6 hours prior to the procedure.
- The patient needs to ensure to empty his/her bladder before the procedure.
- 1-2hours before the procedure. The EMLA patch needs to be applied to the largest vein on top of the right hand and on the inside of his/her arm (where the arm bends). If veins are not clearly visible, please apply additional EMLA patches on top of the left hand and on the inside of the left arm.
- An EMLA patch can be obtained from any pharmacy. If you were unable to obtain a patch, please inform your doctor.
- Please inform your doctor of any medical condition, allergies or chronic medication the patient is on. Please ensure you have completed and submitted the medical questionnaire at the Patient Hub section.
- On the day of the procedure, wear comfortable clothes with loose/short sleeves.
- Complete recover normally takes between 2 – 3 hours, but can sometimes take up to 12 hours.
- Nausea and vomiting can occur, although very seldom. If it occurs more than once, please contact your sedation practitioner.
- You may eat and drink after the procedure as prescribed by your doctor.
- For at least 12 hours following the procedure – the patient is not allowed to sign legally binding agreements, drive or engage in any activity that requires alertness or coordination (e.g. swimming, cycling etc).
- For at least 6 hours, the patient is not allowed to consume alcohol, herbal agents or home remedies.
- Children should not be left unsupervised for at least 2-3 hours after the procedure.
- The patient will require responsible adult supervision after the procedure for up to 6 hours. Please arrange this in advance.
- Uber is not seen as a suitable escort if the patient came on their own. Sedation will not be provided without the availability of an escort home.